Sunday, April 28, 2013

My Captcha Crusade -- Stop the Captchas Today!

CREATED/PURLOINED/PURCHASED/LINK
Dear Blogger users,
Please stop it with the Captchas. They are driving me MAD!
This does not seem to be a Wordpress issue. Those of you on WP can go relax and feel very smug.
It's YOU, my fellow Blogger bloggers. You torture me. You are ruining my already terrible eyes. There are other ways to stop the bots. No, don't tell me you don't know what a captcha is! Yagottabekiddinme. It's this:
I'm fine with the "normal" word on the right. It's the twisty illegible one on the left that's the problem.

Oh no.

I just thought of something.



Am I a bot?

Is that why I can't read them and have to hit the twirly arrow a bunch of times to reload the words I can't decipher?

Oh dear.

Let us ignore that concept and continue on.

Why don't we make commenting easier for your readers. You like comments, right?
I use Disqus here on SpyGirl, for a variety of reasons. You don't have to get all fancy like that. I write FIVE other blogs [intermittently] and I've had no problems with spammers. They get caught in the Blogger security net. This is true! I had one post on my sketch blog under attack 2-3 times a day for a good 2 months last summer. Not one of those spammy comments got published.

Here's what you do:
In your Blogger dashboard, go to Settings (the wrench).
Then go to Posts and Comments:
[here are my current settings for all my blogs]
 
First, don't let "Anonymous Users" comment -- choose something else
Next, Comment Moderation -- you choose -- a good way to filter people if you so desire
Word verification = Captcha PLEASE "JUST SAY NO"

Be sure to "Save Settings" (orange bar, upper right).
Your readers with thank you!
You might even get more comments!

Visible Monday, here I come...