Sunday, March 6, 2022

Who Am I? An Exploration in Self Portraits

"Who are you? What is your story? Where does your perception of yourself come from? How do you view yourself versus how do you think others see you?

We are living in an age where we curate our public persona. Whether through our profile pictures, what we post on social media and how we dress in public. How does that impact who we really are? Is it a disguise or are we taking ownership of our identity?" 
-- Kristine Schomaker, from a recent call for art

This blog could be considered a self portrait!

I started SpyGirl in 2010, as part of a Journaling Challenge.
At first, I hid behind my SpyGirl persona:


Gradually, I said screw that, I want to draw fashion sketches again:
2011, for a Sketchbook Project project
(Sketched in Illustrator, painted in Photoshop. Labor intensive. See this

My sketching style evolved, digital, analog... I shifted as the mood struck me.
5/31/16, lunch break selfie sketches of the day's outfit

From the same sketchbook, that time I turned 60:
6/3/16

Not my first selfie nude.
That would be a painting that I no longer have. Still looking for the photo of it...

Linking up with