Wednesday, July 31, 2019

New Haircut, New Tunic

New haircut!
It was my fourth (fifth?) appointment with Justin at Floyd's 99 in Mar Vista.
AWESOME results!

On to the tunic, which is unfinished in this photo:
It's one big rectangle with a horizontal neck slit at this point. Maybe it'll get sleeves, maybe not.
This is a piece of fabric I've had since 1987. It was sample yardage we ordered when I worked with Rosemary Brantley. My fabric stash is, um, vintage and extensive. I no longer allow myself into fabric stores.

Sewing process:
First of all, I gave myself a present, The Geometry of Hand-Sewing by Natalie Chanin
Sew inspiring! (haha) 
Second, I cleared off the very large pile of mail from the "dining room" table and set up a nice little niche for hand sewing and journal writing. [We won't discuss what I did with the mail]. The sewing clutter is now gone from the coffee table in the living room. Yay.

Let's hand sew!
I'm using black embroidery floss. For starters, tried a blanket stitch and didn't like it.
Rip it out and start over.
"Maybe I'll do the side seams like a huipil?"


Wrong. Look at the stitching, Anne.
Rip it out and start over.
Yes!
Now, to finish. That's the hardest part (if I'm not confined to a bus).
Once it's done, I'll wear it beyond the back patio. The evidence will appear on Instagram!

Linking up with
Patti's Visible Monday
Catherine's #ShareAllLinkup
Shelbee's On the Edge of the Week