Thursday, October 17, 2024

Tell Us About Challenge: School Days

 I'm joining 9 other international bloggers opining on the subject of School Days.

In August, I wrote a post about my "school life" from toddler (1957) to teacher (2017).

What else is there to say?
I'm currently teaching again, and I've boarded the struggle bus!

Photo by Santiago Gomez on Unsplash

I'm teaching two classes in Digital Design for BFA Fashion Students at Otis College of Art and Design in Los Angeles. The classes are held weekly on Zoom, which is fine by me.

My sophomore class meets on Thursday from 4-7pm (originally they wanted to have it 7-10pm and I said no way!) They are learning techniques in Photoshop that they can use on their fashion illustrations. Their demos for homework are all prerecorded (I watch them as well and make notes) and they mostly work on their own.
I briefly meet with the whole class and then I do 1:1 critiques on their homework. (Yes, I now know how to make two Zoom rooms!) I believe last week was the first week that I got through all the 1:1s before 7. Phew!

I like to meet with them in the order they submit their work.
Here's our instructors' example of half of the above assignment (they had to realistically bend plaids on the provided figure):

All the efforts from last week's midterm test.
Can you guess the "A"s?

My junior class is meeting asynchronously. That means we don't have a regular class meeting, they just have to turn in their homework by noon, Saturdays. I then record my 1:1 critiques on Zoom and upload it to the course system. It takes me a long time!
They are learning advanced techniques in Photoshop and Illustrator and applying them to their design coursework.
They just had their Midterm test, which was drawing a flat (like a garment blueprint) from this garment photo:
excellent student work

All in all, I'm working on getting a good rhythm going and it's getting incrementally better. By the end of the semester I'll have it figured out! And then it will be too late! Meanwhile, I cross off getting anything accomplished on Thursdays and Saturdays.

Here are more thoughts on School Days/Schooldays

Debbie shares memories of her schooldays in Australia, and sending her daughters to school in Cheddar (UK) where (by coincidence) she’s currently staying! 

Gail from Is This Mutton serves up some amusing memories from school, including the missing gerbil and her mum's ride home in a hearse.

Jill gives us her take on this one is a smattering of memories from her long ago schooldays.

Leslie at Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After reflects on a long but beloved career as a school librarian. Find her at onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com/

Marsha spent the majority of her life in school, either as a student or as a teacher, and sometimes both! She writes about her earliest teaching memories.

Mary Katherine ponders her Schooldays, and what she learned that she actually used in later life, at mksadventure.com/

Penny goes a bit off-piste with this theme. She does look at her schooldays, which were sooo long ago! But she also looks at the British class based system of schooling; as in private v state schooling. This is because it not only impacted her life but also it has huge consequences for British society as a whole.

Rosie is talking about her village primary school and a very special 'School Girl' rose!

Suzy reflects on her varied and memorable schooldays, from culture shocks and cherished friendships to inspiring teachers and unexpected changes. Find her at www.suzyturner.com