Monday, October 7, 2019

Bauhaus Beginnings at the Getty

It's the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Bauhaus and there have been many exhibitions world-wide commemorating this milestone.
Cameron Taylor-Brown organized a tour of Bauhaus Beginnings at the Getty, led by the co-curator Gary Fox.
Our group outside the Getty Research Institute
photo by Julia Taylor-Brown
The tour was fascinating and Gary was most erudite and skilled at presenting the information.
Gary Fox
I wish I had taken a wide shot of the space with all the color theory course work. I felt like I was surrounded by all my assignments from Otis Freshman Foundation Design (black and white work) and Color Theory (all those color chips). It bordered on the nightmarish!
Here's an IG post of some students with Gary:

The English translation of the Bauhaus curriculum
(from Instagram because I forgot to take a photo)
I had no idea that the Otis curriculum was so similar! Theresa said it was the same for her, twenty years earlier in 1963.
I guess it's ironic that the school's teachings, in operation for only 14 years, closed by the Nazis in 1933, has universally proliferated the art and design world.
The show closes next week. There's a companion online exhibition which is worth checking out.
There is also a pdf of all the exhibition's wall text.

I posted my "best" photos on IG here:

Linking up with
Patti's Visible Monday
Catherine's #shareAllLinkup
Shelbee's Spread the Kindness